[SI-LIST] Re: DDR3 Ccomp capacitance delay

  • From: "Hany Fahmy" <hanymhfahmy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Hermann.Ruckerbauer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <petebenjamin730@xxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2013 13:54:44 +0100

Hi Pete, Agree with Hermann that best starting point is indeed the UDIMM,
SODIMM routing guidelines, below is an example of such routing rules. Also
agree w Feng that best shot is pre-layout analysis complemented with
post-layout analysis for fine-tuning. It depends on what is ur goal:
1N-1600, 2N-1600, 1N-1866, 2N-1866, pls. note that CNTL signals must run 1N
mode, while MA/CMD can be downgraded to 2N if needed, it depends on the
performance u r looking for:

CLK, CTRL, ADR/CMD Routing Guideines

General Guidelines

Segments TL0 & TL1 are routed at lower lead-in impedance (see geometry
worksheet)

Clocks are routed as differential pairs over the entire length

Clocks should be routed on stripline layers for as much of their length as
possible.

Clock far end termination structure shall be option A, as described on CLK
Termination tab.

Cterm should be located within 5 mm of the connector. Segment TL0A <= 5 mm
(200 mils)

Clocks, CTRL, and ADR/CMD signals are length/delay matched to the first
SDRAM (TL0 + TL1 + TL5) - See rules below.

Segment TL6 does not require length matching

Mirroring is not currently allowed on RC-B and RC-D, due to ranks being
split between top and bottom sides

CLK, CTRL & ADR/CMD Rtt resistors should be assigned to separate R-packs per
signal group

Topologies for RC-D, RC-E and RC-F vary from those shown here, but generic
rules apply.

Plane Referencing:

All CLK, CRTL and ADR/CMD signals are to be power referenced over the entire
length

Interconnect Type & Layer Assignments:

TL0 and TL5 segments are ustrip

TL1, TL2, TL3 and TL4 segments are stripline

TL6 segment can be ustrip or stripline

The CLK and CTRL signals for each rank should be routed on the same layers

Where reference plan transistions are required, place reference plane
stitching vias close to signal vias.

Length/Delay Matching:

CLK

Route CLK & CLK# of each clock pair as a differential pairs over the full
length.

Length match CLK & CLK# of each clock pair segment by segment to within 0.1
mm (4 mils)

Length match all CLKs segment by segment from connector to each SDRAM to
within +/- 0.25 mm (10mils).

Calculate velocity compensated stripline equivalent length for CLKs, from
connector to each SDRAM.

CTRL

Delay match (velocity compensated) all CTRL signals to CLK, from connector
to the first SDRAM load, to within +/- 1.0 mm (40 mils)

Delay match (velocity compensated) all CTRL signals to CLK, from connector
to the each subsequent SDRAM load, to within +/- 1.0 mm (40 mils)*

* Can accomplish this by length matching from via to via in loaded section,
if TL5 segments are the same length at each SDRAM.

Use delay matching worksheet to verify compliance at each SDRAM load.

ADR/CMD

Delay match (velocity compensated) all ADR/CMD signals to CLK, from
connector to the first SDRAM load, to within +/- 1.0 mm (40 mils)

Delay match (velocity compensated) all ADR/CMD signals to CLK, from
connector to the each subsequent SDRAM load, to within +/- 1.0 mm (40 mils)*

* Can accomplish this by length matching from via to via in loaded section,
if TL5 segments are the same length at each SDRAM.

Use delay matching worksheet to verify compliance at each SDRAM load.

TL5/TL9

The length of TL5 segment may vary from 0.5 mm (20 mils) to a maximum of 2.5
mm (100 mils) from net to net on CLK nets*

The length of TL5 segment may vary from 0.5 mm (20 mils) to a maximum of 6.3
mm (250 mils) from net to net on CTRL & ADR/CMD nets*

* On RC-E & RC-F topologies the TL9 segment is the equivalent of TL5 on
other cards.

Top and bottom side TL5/TL9 segments on 2 load per node topologies should be
matched to within +/- 0.25 mm (10 mils)

The length of all TL5/TL9 segments on a given net shall be matched to within
+/- 0.25 mm (10 mils) across all SDRAMs.

Note: All physical segment lengths are measured from center of pad to center
of pad.

Stub Lengths:

TL5 Length

Min

Max

CLK

0.5 mm

2.5 mm

CTRL

0.5 mm

6.5 mm

ADR/CMD

0.5 mm

TBD

Top vs Bottom Match: +/- 0.25 mm (10 mils)

Same Net Match: +/ - 0.25 mm (10 mils)

Velocity Compensation:

When performing delay matching the microstrip length should be converted to
equivalent stripline length via the following equation;

Equivalent Stripline Length = Microstrip Length / 1.1

Neck Down Length:

The neck down length is defined as the distance from the 1st SDRAM load that
the trace necks down to 4 mil width

The maximum neck down length for CLK, CTRL and ADR/CMD is 800 mils, unless
otherwise specified

Mirroring & Pin Swapping:

Mirroring should not be implemented when ranks are split across top and
bottom side

Mirroring is possible on RC-A, but is currently not recommended

Mirroring is possible on RC-E and F, but requires extensions to the SPD
module description

Hany Fahmy

CEO & Chief Consultant Officer

Intelligent Solutions BVBA