[SI-LIST] Re: DDR2 problem

  • From: Hermann Ruckerbauer <Hermann.Ruckerbauer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 02 Nov 2014 12:34:20 +0100

Hello,

I have seen one freescale controller (don't remember which one it was)
failing with new memory devices because an internal weakness of the Vref
Decoupling.
There was some internal coupling to Vref and due to stronger drivers
this caused the reads to fail.
Not easy to detect, as there is no real external indication when
measuring signal quality.
A vref margin test showed the basic weakness, even with the original DRAMs.

=> thats the reason why I always recommend not just to do some software
memory tests at different temps, but also do a Compliance measurement
and a Vref margin test on new designs ..

There was a freescale application note showing a special external
decoupling on VREF to overcome the issue..
This one was not easy to find .. just when we convinced freescale that
we there is some internal controller issue (as we have shown that there
is no external signalin issee)  they pulled this out of the hat ..

Maybe you are running in the same issue ..

Herman

EKH - EyeKnowHow
Hermann Ruckerbauer
www.EyeKnowHow.de