[SI-LIST] Re: DDR2 or DDR3

  • From: "James Bell" <james.c.bell@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Martin Euredjian'" <martin_05@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 12:43:14 -0800

Martin,

If you are thinking about a trade off between DDR2 vs. DDR3 DIMMs, one
advantage DDR3 has over DDR2 is the on-DIMM terminated Address/Command and
Clock nets, which will take at least some of the SI burden off of you. The
down side is, if you intend to develop your own memory controller inside an
FPGA or ASIC, your memory controller internals become more complex for DDR3
because of the fly-by topology used for Address/Commend and Clock nets,
causing the data to/from the indivdual memory devices to be valid at
different times.

For memory down applications if you don't need the increased step up in data
rates DDR3 gives you I recommend sticking with DRR2 and it's tried and true
memory topologies and simpler controller state machine.

- Jim