[SI-LIST] Re: DDR2 Signal Probing on SODIMM

  • From: Alex Horvath <alexh1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 14:08:18 -0700 (PDT)

I try to avoid probing DDR signals whenever possible but if I have to these
work wonders even on vertical boards using the vias as signal contact points.
You have to get the adapters for your scope probe model ? obviously the default
probe tip they sell is good for DC only!

  http://www.agdevices.com/pages/product/qp/qpmain.html

  Of course it is extremely difficult to simultaneously ground the 1" scope
probe ground. However, I have done tests comparing the 1" ground, 2" and 3"
ground to a nearby soldered post @ 200 Mhz and I did not see a large difference
in signal quality for my purposes. Of course I highly recommend that you
perform your own tests if you use this method.

Sharma Rajeev-B01961 <B01961@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:  Hi All,
What is the best way to probe the DDR Signals on SODIMM?Is there any
readymade solution(in terms of Connectors) available to probe the DDR
SODIMM signals?
I am facing issue in probing the signals on SODIMM as the via's are very
small and moreover it becomes difficult to hold the probes on these
vias.
In my attempt I have used some wire straps with Damp Resistors and
soldered them on the vias.But just want to understand if there is some
other better way to do this.
Thanks & Regards,
Rajeev Sharma

List technical documents are available at: