[SI-LIST] Re: DC power Analysis/Current Density

  • From: "Brad Brim" <bradb@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <balaseven@xxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 09:22:35 -0700

hi Bala,

As Patrick Carrier mentioned, there are IPC guidelines for current carrying
limits but beyond these you need to perform a thermal simulation to get the
detailed information you desire. If you are using PowerDC you already have
such capability available. In addition to the more familiar DC IR Drop
analysis PowerDC also performs electrical/thermal cosimulation. This is not
just a thermal analysis done after the current distributions are computed
but it solves the nonlinear problem of temperature-dependent electrical
properties of materials and provides more accuracy for both the electrical
and thermal analyses.

Jim Antonellis mentioned three concerns you can judge with more confidence
after you have performed an electrical/thermal cosimulation to get accurate
results for both current flow and temperature distribution. However, your
original inquiry cited a much more simple design task. I interpret your
design constraint as a maximum local temperature of 70 degrees allowed for a
power plane. You can easily assure this temperature spec is met through
electrical/thermal cosimulation by examining the temperature distribution of
the plane(s) of interest. You can look at fancy color-shaded graphics or
simply set a temperature constraint and let the software warn you if that
constraint is violated.

best regards,
 -Brad Brim
  Sigrity