[SI-LIST] Re: Current capacity of a Solder Ball

  • From: steve weir <weirsp@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mchan@xxxxxxxxxxx, BSchieck@xxxxxxxxxx, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2003 13:06:52 -0800

Moses, and Brian, that current number seems low by orders of
magnitude.  First, the electrical resistance is way off.   For the
resistivity value shown which seems about right at 8X Cu, and a rectangular
section 0.2mm X 0.2mm X 0.6mm yields about 0.002 ohms.

Similarly, the thermal resistance value of 41,000 C/W for a metallic object
24 thousandths thick cannot be right.  Take a small glob of solder the size
of a BGA ball on the bench and connect it to a 10V supply and a 100 ohm
resistor.  There is no way, that blob will get warm, much less melt.  It
will take multiple amperes to melt the foil leading to or away from the
ball, and the foil will fail long before the ball.

Regards,

Steve.

List archives are viewable at: