[SI-LIST] Re: Crystal Oscillator Overtones.

  • From: Parthasarathy Sampath <parthsv@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Moeller, Merrick" <mmoeller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 17:36:31 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,
   I did some mathematical analysis on impedance of
the crystal along with its tank and capacitive load.
This circuit offers '0' resistance and inductive
impedance at 33Meg.
   I inferered that, at 33Meg, the crystal and load
offering zero resistance, serves as short for the
input and hence Maximum gain is observed in open-loop
AC simulation, while transient analysis shows no
oscillations.
  Is my inference correct and if so what is the
remedy.
 All suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,

Regards,
Partha!
PS:I tried to add a small resistor in series to
inductor of tank circuit. It did suppres the 33Meg
problem but then, gain at 60Meg(3rd overtone) dropped
too low compared to fundemental.

--- "Moeller, Merrick" <mmoeller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

List archives are viewable at: