[SI-LIST] Crosstalk

  • From: <zc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 18:10:42 -0500

Dear All:

Below is a discussion in the list before. I don't understand some of the
ideas in it. Hope some experts can give me some explains.

"Crosstalk in a bus isn't necessarily a bad thing. Large busses are limited
by simultaneous switching delays (limited current in the chip supply
inductors) into line impedances. Near-end crosstalk under SSO effectively
raises the line impedance and reduces the SSO delay, compensating in part
for the SSO and keeping timing more consistent."

1. What's simultaneous switching delays ? why Large busses are limited by
simultaneous switching delays ?

2. Why near-end crosstalk under SSO effectively raises the line impedance?
How raised line impedance reduces the SSO delay? Why raised line impedance
can compensate in part for the SSO and keeping timing more consistent?

3. Under what situations, the crosstalk is useful?

Thanks in advance. Your sincere help is highly appreciated.

Zhenggang
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Zhenggang Cheng
Ph.D Candidate
Electrical and Computer Engineering Dept
Duke University
130 Hudson Hall, POBox 90291
Durham, NC, 27708
919-660-5232(O)   919-218-5520(H)