[SI-LIST] Re: Cross-hatched reference planes

  • From: "MW-hot-ip" <mark.woods@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2007 17:01:57 -0800

unsubscribe me

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeff Seeger" <jseeger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <leeritchey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>; <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, April 03, 2007 12:48 PM
Subject: [SI-LIST] Re: Cross-hatched reference planes

Lee Ritchey wrote:

>Jeff,
>
> What are the situations where these items apply?  We'd like to know as we
>hear such statements often without any accompanying explanations.
>

 > snip <

>>Lee Ritchey wrote:
>> >
>> >  Unless this is a flex circuit, why would you cross hatch a plane?
>>
>> Copper balance, venting, and laminate/laminate bonding
>> can be issues in certain situations.

    While I'll confess I'm pressed for time here's a 20 sec follow up;
    the second two are admittedly very narrow needs:

    - crosshatch may be helpful to balance copper usage in a stackup to
    minimize propensity for warpage, or on the 'outer layers" of a sub-
    assembly in a sequential lamination construction

    - venting these days is primarily of concern in device substrate
    ie build-up multilayer

    - laminate to laminate bonding can be an issue in some high stress
    or multi-material situations

    Hope that helps,
--

      Jeff Seeger                         Applied CAD Knowledge Inc
      Chief Technical Officer                  Tyngsboro, MA  01879

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net

List archives are viewable at:

List technical documents are available at: