[SI-LIST] Re: Cross talk and Trace length

  • From: Doug Brooks <dbrooks9@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Fred Balistreri" <fred@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'rajesh kumar'" <msrajesheee@xxxxxxxxx>,<si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 13:19:30 -0700

The terms "far end crosstalk" and "near end crosstalk" can be confusing.

Near end crosstalk is almost always backward crosstalk (unless you
want to add the complication of reflections from the far end!)

Far end crosstalk can include both forward crosstalk (a fairly sharp
rising pulse, if it exists) and backward crosstalk, after it has
reflected from the near end and propagated to the far end. To
complicate matters, backward crosstalk reflected to the far end
arrives at the far end after the forward crosstalk does (sometimes
significantly so) (and looks quite different.) How much backward
crosstalk reflects to the far end depends on how the transmission
lines are terminated at the near end.

In my seminars I show simulations of severe crosstalk coupling in a
stripline environment, with the victim trace properly terminated at
the near end, resulting in NO crosstalk at the far end. Again, easily
simulated in Hyperlynx, and shown in the referenced article, below.
In a real-world circuit, it can be very difficult to separate and
identify these effects unless you are really skilled at what you are
looking at.

Doug

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net