[SI-LIST] Creating local power planes

  • From: "Jim Hall" <otter30@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 23:44:00 -0800

Hello everyone,

I am new to this group and was very grateful for all the good advice I
received
on my last question. The responses were so excellent I've decided to press
my
luck and ask another question.

When creating local power planes for the rails of individual ICs, ie a 1.8V
island
derived via a regulator from a larger 5V plane, which is a better approach:
1) Keep the island on the same layer as the source plane, separatng them
with a moat
   bridged by the regulator and the necessary vias
2) Put the island on a different layer than the source plane with a ground
plane layer
   in between them.

Thanks,
Jim