[SI-LIST] Re: Coupling THROUGH a plane?

  • From: "Boris Yost" <yost@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 17:11:59 -0500

Dear List:

        Q:  When is unshielded twisted pair cable not shielded, not twisted, and
not paired?!?
        A:  When it is unshielded twisted pair RIBBON cable!!!
        The twisted part is twisted, but where you put the connectors has to be
regularly and uniformly oriented and straight.  Unless you are going real
real far with the cable, the percentage of cable that is not twisted is
probably 20%.  That part couples like cheap ribbon cable.
        So my problem had nothing to do with "coupling THROUGH a plane".  As a
matter of fact, it had nothing really to do with the LVDS pair that had the
bad symbol.  A few clock earlier than my error, some noisy thing couples
into the LVDS clock, probably an unlucky alignment of bits.  It does a
better job coupling into the complement line than the true line.  The LVDS
PLL gets nudged from where it should be and jitters.  A few clocks later I
get a bit error.  The error happens to be in the "worst" pair of a basically
good design.  I fixed it by filtering the clock.  I should go back and find
the root cause of the noise and try to make it go somewhere else.
        The previously mentioned dip I believe is ground bounce and I'm still
deciding whether it is bad enough that I must be rid of it.

Boris