[SI-LIST] Re: Coupling Between Adjacent Capacitors

  • From: Rick Collins <gnuarm.2006@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2011 11:42:42 -0400

If capacitors were just simple plates separated by large air gaps,
the parasitic effects might be more noticeable, but any cap you buy
is either a series of plates with very small spacings like
multi-layer ceramic caps, or made of layers rolled up.  The fringe
effects would be very small indeed and likely no more than the stray
capacitance of any components or traces on the board.

That said, I'm sure you can find some situations where this could be
significant.  For example radial ceramic caps are just one layer and
not very thin if I remember correctly.  I expect they might have a
significant fringe field.  But I haven't used one of those in over 15 years.

Rick

At 11:22 AM 7/12/2011, Scuteri, Jeremy wrote:
>I have a question about coupling between adjacent capacitors and the
>sensitivity to their orientation.  I have heard of turning inductors
>90degrees to avoid magnetic coupling, but I did not think such a
>thing applied to capacitors.  Maybe there could be some coupling of
>the fringe field if the caps are very close to each other.  Has
>anyone experienced a sensitivity to the orientation of capacitors?
>
>Thanks,
>Jeremy Scuteri

>//www.freelists.org/webpage/si-list
>
>For help: