[SI-LIST] Coupled & Lossy Line Model Validation Structure

  • From: Julian Ferry <julian.ferry@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 15:00:59 -0500

A few months back, I mentioned that we at Samtec were working on a paper
about lossy line models.  We're still not completely finished, but we have
some initial segments ready. They are available on our website now.

The first part discusses a reference structure which we have been using for
a few years for validating models and simulations. We have built the
structure (which we call the Golden Standard) physically, and have used it
to investigate and validate new test procedures.  We have found the Golden
Standard to be so useful, that we thought other SI Engineers might be
interested as well.  Its not rocket science, but we figured, why force
people to re-invent the wheel?

The structure is a basic, 2 line micro strip PCB.  Analytical solutions
exist for several key loss and coupling parameters. Those solutions make
great markers for comparing with simulated data.  I should also note that
the Golden Standard demonstrates the infamous "anomalous" insertion loss
resonance effect that pops up here on the list from time to time.

The first part of the paper gives an overview of the structure. It includes
data obtained from 2D and 3D solvers, and measured data from Agilent's PLTS
system and TDA Systems IConnect TDR data post processor.  The second part of
the paper gives a theoretical discussion on the derivation of the analytical
solutions.

We have analyzed the Golden Standard using just about every modeling and
simulation tool at our disposal. We have built models using several 2 D and
3 D solvers, used the models to generate spice and S-parameter models that
we have run in Berkeley SPICE, HSPICE, and PSPICE, we have generated models
from physical measurements using the Agilent PLTS and TDA Systems software,
looked at single ended and differential simulations and measurements, in the
time and frequency domains.  So far we have about 75 pages of data. We will
eventually be posting this data on our website. We still have quite a few
simulations to go, and plan to continue to add to the list over time.

We are considering opening up the data base so that other users can post
results there too. We haven't worked out the logistics for that yet. But if
anyone is interested in something like that, please send an email to
goldenstandard@xxxxxxxxxxx  We could host that on our website, or possibly
set it up in relation to the SI list archive pages in someway.

In the mean time, the papers are available on our website at:

http://www.samtec.com/signal_integrity/golden_standards/goldenstandard_part1
.pdf

http://www.samtec.com/signal_integrity/golden_standards/goldenstandard_part2
.pdf
<http://www.samtec.com/signal_integrity/golden_standards/goldenstandard_part
2.pdf>

Or you can go to www.samtec.com <http://www.samtec.com/> , hit the "Signal
Integrity" Tab, and hit "Golden Standard" from there.

A description of the cross section is there, along with the analytical
values, so it's a pretty easy process to set up and run some quick
validations of your current processes.  We should soon have a .dwg cross
section file posted there too, which you might be able to paste directly
into your software.

In addition, we have fabbed some sample boards complete with SMA attachment
points.  These boards are great for validating test procedures and 3D solver
solutions.  We will have 40-50 on hand to give away at DesignCon next week,
so stop by our booth if you're interested. We will also be making them
available from our website in the next few weeks. If you would like to
request a kit when they become available, send your contact information to
goldenstandard@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:goldenstandard@xxxxxxxxxx> .

Thanks.

Julian Ferry
High Speed Engineering Manager