[SI-LIST] Couple increased or decreased? (transmission line on silicon die)

  • From: Bi Han <mike_bihan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: List` Si <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2003 17:31:32 +0800 (CST)

I have onserved a strange phenomenon in Ansoft 2D solver.

The case is:

Two coupled transmission lines, on a silicon die, are placed on the same metal
layer. There are dieletric material between them and above them.

Ansoft 2D will give out the Capacitance between them.(C12)

If I move one of the two lines downward for about 1 micron, the value of C12
will increase. The result doesn't make sense to me. Why it will increase? What
I wondered is that since they are seperated farther, why the capacitance
increased?

If I move it upward instead of downward, the C12 will decrease.

Can any expert give your explanation?

List archives are viewable at: