[SI-LIST] Re: Correction: Re: IBIS-AMI Vendor Support Help

  • From: Todd Westerhoff <twesterh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Syed Huq (huqs)" <huqs@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2010 20:42:11 -0500 (EST)

Syed,

That's a good question - it's probably worth restating what the IBIS-AMI
toolkit is intended to do.  The "new" part of IBIS-AMI was the introduction of
the executable algorithmic model and its associated .ami control file - the
analog part of the model uses the pre-existing analog syntax.

Given that we had never standardized executable models before, there was
concern about whether EDA and semiconductor vendors would be able to implement
the simulator/model API properly.  Debugging was a potential problem - if a
.dll didn't work in a given simulator, how was one supposed to know whether it
was the simulator or the model that caused the issue?

The IBIS-AMI toolkit provides two components that can be used to establish
whether a model or simulator conforms to the API, thus helping diagnose a
compatibility problem.

The simulator test bench (IBIS_AMI_test.exe) is a standalone, single model
simulator that can load and run an IBIS-AMI algorithmic model.  It's used to
prove that a model conforms to the API and can successfully receive and process
data.  It also provides a useful environment for developing, running and
debugging a model standalone, which a number of people have done.

The IBIS-AMI model provides a reference model (.ibs, .ami, .dll) that a channel
simulator vendor can use to test whether their simulator conforms to the API.
As I mentioned this morning, customers can also use this model to determine how
readily a given simulator supports the standard "out of the box."

... which brings is back to the toolkit.  As the primary purpose was to
establish whether an algorithmic model's API conforms to the standard, the
focus is the standalone execution of an algorithmic model.  The documentation
that comes with the kit says that you have to supply an impulse response
(derived by whatever means) to the model as input, along with the model's
configuration data.  We supplied a reference impulse response in the kit for
those who didn't want to come up with their own.

I believe the way we generated the impulse response is the kit was by
simulating a step response for the TX / channel / RX in HSPICE.  The analog
model we used for the RX represented the termination behavior only.  We then
took the step response and differentiated it to get the impulse response we
included in the kit.

Since the impulse response included in the toolkit includes the analog TX /
channel / analog RX, running that impulse response with the TX algorithmic
model provides the signal at the RX pad.  Processing *that* waveform with a RX
algorithmic model (not included in the kit) would yield the data signal at the
RX sampling point.

... that's a very long way of saying we didn't include the RX analog model in
the kit because we expected people would either use the impulse response we
provided, or use their own channel model / RX analog model / circuit simulator
to generate their own impulse response.

Todd.

--

Todd Westerhoff