[SI-LIST] Re: Copper atom density

  • From: Ed Sayre III <esayre3@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: doug@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 15:17:05 -0500

Doug,
   I you are dealing with single crystalline copper then the volume is an
algebraic expression based on the atomic unit cell.  This is derived from
the crystal orientation (ie face centered cubic, body centered cubic,
Diamond...etc)
   The thing is that copper is not single crystalline in a typical
conductor, so I would guess that the density is a bit lower.  I would
recommend you pull out the old "CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics".  I
think this will answer all your questions.  Also the text by "Ramo,
Whinnery and Van Duzer"  may also have some material constants as applied
to Electromagnetics

  I am curious, why do you need this??? Critical currents density?

Regards
-Ed

At 12:01 PM 11/16/2005 -0800, Doug Brooks wrote:
>I am interested in determining the density of copper atoms per unit
>cross sectional area, i.e. the average number of atoms at the cross
>sectional area of a conductor.
>It is given by various sources that the volumetric density of copper is
>between
>8.37 10^28  and
>8.5   10^28  atoms/meter^3
>
>Is it as simple as taking the 2/3 root of this number (19.3
>10^18/meter^2)? That seems logical but not necessarily realistic. I
>think there is a better answer but I'm not sure how to approach it.
>
>Doug Brooks

>//www.freelists.org/webpage/si-list
>
>For help:
>
>List FAQ wiki page is located at: