[SI-LIST] Re: Copper Pours

  • From: "Geoff Stokes" <GStokes@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 11:37:12 +0100

Hi Robert

This is an interesting question.=20=20

I have used copper pour, (or split/mixed plane in Mentor PADS for
example) to create an infill around surface components for RF and high
speed designs, mainly analog.  I have found that with a continuous
ground plane on the next layer, the RF performance is not affected
greatly, except perhaps in trying to get the best RF connection to
surface components like decoupling capacitors.  Both practical testing
and RF simulations using Sonnet Lite show little difference in RF
effects including stray coupling.  This has also been seen in CST
Microwave Studio.  The gap between the in-fill and the signal trace does
affect the characteristic impedance (Zo) as you say, but is a fairly
slow-varying relationship.  The extra top ground creates a structure
called Coplanar Waveguide with Ground (CPWG).  Without the infill you
just have Microstrip.

To calculate the transmission line parameters for microstrip or CPWG, I
use AWR TxLine.  I have checked the results with Sonnet Lite and
obtained fairly good agreement, but it does depend on the distance of
the sidewalls and lid, and there is some small effect from the launch
connection.  However you can get close enough for practical purposes,
which involves the effects of construction tolerances.

You raise the question, what are the advantages of copper pour?  I use
it for the following main reasons.

1.  To provide better thermal balance between the layers and try to
prevent warping of the board.

2.  To shield signal traces on the next layer, in areas where there are
no top signal traces.

3.  To provide useful ground connections for probes should it be
necessary to go hunting after solutions to problems.

4.  To provide a small amount of extra isolation between traces to a
package with small pin spacings.

One disadvantage is that you need plenty of ground stitching vias
between the top infill and the ground plane to be sure that the top
ground is not "live" which would otherwise create problems.  Many RF
microstrip designs work quite well with no infill.  But often for me the
advantages won the case.

I try to avoid rules of thumb but have found that if the gap is similar
to or greater than about 1.5 times the dielectric thickness, the infill
does not have a great effect on Zo.  A factor of 1.8 or 2.0 is often
good choice.

Regarding control of the spacing, Mentor PADS provides the ability to
set up rules on groups of named connections.  That is without paying
extra for the "classes" option which I think might help on large
designs.  When the split/mixed plane is connected, the gap is then set
automatically.  (I think for practical purposes, "Copper Pour" in PADS
has now been superseded by "Split/Mixed Plane" which does the same job
more effectively for me.)

Now, hatched pours are another thing - maybe a waste of ferric chloride?

Geoff Stokes
Systems Engineer
Zetex Semiconductors plc
Zetex Technology Park