[SI-LIST] Re: Copper Fill --- correction

  • From: Scott McMorrow <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Scott McMorrow <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 23:34:30 -0700

Okay, now I really need some coffee ... and it's 5:30 in the evening.
Here's yet another correction and more elaboration.

A square patch of copper on top of a dielectric and plane forms a crude
cavity resonator which will have a number of natural resonant
eigenmodes.  The first resonant point is a half-wave resonance.  The
resonance frequency is equal to the round trip of a wave propagating
back and forth across the region, much like what would happen in a
square pool of water between the two walls.  For a one square inch patch
of copper, the resonant frequency on FR-4 is somewhere between 2.7 and
3.3 GHz

A very crude square patch

--------------
|                    |      resonant frequency = 1/( 2 * w * Vp)
|                    |     Vp = velocity of propagation of wave in
dielectric medium = c/sqrt(Er)
|                    |      w = width and height of square
|                    |
|                    |
---------------

Adding vias to the patch effectively pins the structure down and raises
it's resonant frequency.  The spacing of the vias control the resonance,
with a half-wave resonance being the lowest generally supported by the
structure. Stitching the patch at all four corners actually does nothing
to change the resonant frequency of the cavity.  However, placing a
fifth via at the center will push the resonance up by a factor of 2.

@------------@
|                       |      resonant frequency = 1/( 4 * w * Vp)
|                       |      Vp = velocity of propagation of wave in
dielectric medium
|           @        |       w = width and height of square
|                       |     @ = Via stitch
|                       |
@------------@

In essence, the via spacing has changed from w to w/2. These formulas
are quite approximate, but will place us in the general playing field. A
full-wave field solver such as PowerSI from Sigrity, or SIwave and HFSS
from Ansoft, will provide much more exact resonance frequency analysis.

So, the "rough" formula I gave for via spacing should be:

via spacing =1/(2 * (f * Vp)) not 2/(f * Vp) as I had indicated.

In my previous example, this would amount to a via spacing of 0.59
inches, not 1.18.

Sorry about my confusion.

Scott

--
Scott McMorrow
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC

Scott McMorrow wrote:

> My equation below has an error.
>
> The maximum via spacing should be:
>
> 2/(f * Vp)
>
> This accounts for the half-wave resonance which occurs between vias.
>

> regards,
>
> Scott
>

> Scott McMorrow wrote:
>
>> Ray,
>>
>> When the separation of the copper fill from any signal is > 20 times
>> the signal-to-plane spacing there is no effect on the signals. So,
>> for 5 mil dielectric thickness, the fill area to signal trace
>> clearance should be 100 mils or greater.  I would also suggest
>> grounding each fill area at multiple points to eliminate possible EMI
>> coupling problems..  At a minimum, use ground stitch vias at four
>> corners to contain resonances of the fill area.  For extremely high
>> speed multi-gigahertz systems, the vias should be spaced a maximum
>> distance apart of 1/(f * Vp) apart. Where f = the upper frequency of
>> operation and Vp is the velocity of propagation of signals within the
>> dielectric.
>>
>> For FR4 Vp is around 180ps/in.  For 3.125 Gbps signallling the upper
>> frequency you are concerned with is the 3rd harmonic of the switching
>> frequency, 4.68 GHz.  In this case, the maximum stitch via spacing
>> would be
>> 1/(4.68e9 * 180e-12) =  1.18 inches.
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Scott