[SI-LIST] Re: Converting SPICE rlgc files into ADS

  • From: Henrique Miranda <hmiranda@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Grossman, Brett" <brett.grossman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 07:18:00 +0000 (WET)

I Brett and Ozmur,

I used the "Two Coupled Lines, Constant width" block (ML2CTL_C) and it worked
fine.
I had to convert the original RLGC values into the format used by ADS:
Basically, the conversions were:

C  -> C/eps0
L  -> L/mu0
R  -> R
Rs -> Rs*sqrt(1e9)  (ohm/sqrt(GHz))
Gd -> Gd/(2*pi*eps0)

Then, there is the "ReuseRLGC" option in that block that when set to "yes"
inhibits the internal ADS field solving to occur. This way, no matter what
values I use to describe the stackup physical parameters, ADS will always
use the given RLGC file.

Thanks to both of you.

Henrique

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005, Grossman, Brett wrote:

> Henrique,
>
> I apologize if this sends you in the wrong direction as I am pulling it
> from a rusty memory.
>
> But...
>
> Within ADS, the transmission line elements in the multi-layer library
> have an option to save the model in RLGC format.  I believe that this
> same element can then be used to point back to the RLGC file, and then
> use this file instead of the internal field solver to define the model.
>

> I also believe that the format of the RLGC matrix elements is defined
> differently between ADS and Hspice, and that ADS describes their format
> (and perhaps the difference) in their help files.
>
> So, you could convert your RLGC matrix into an ADS RLGC matrix file, and
> then use the mutli-layer tline element to point to this new file.
>
> Sorry again if any of this is incorrect.  I have a recollection of doing
> it once, and writing an excel macro to generate the ADS file from the
> Hspice file. But unfortunately lack the recall ability to find it
> immediately.
>
> Best regards,
> -Brett

List FAQ wiki page is located at: