[SI-LIST] Re: Connection to cable shields

  • From: steve weir <weirsp@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cchalmers@xxxxxxxxxxx, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 09:26:33 -0700

Chris, you have multiple issues to deal with here.  The first is that the
common mode range of the receivers is finite.    You need to get the DGND
of both systems near the same potential, or you just can't signal.  The
second is an issue of power.  The DGND and chassis being joined is fine,
provided that the battery returns do not also join to the case.  If they
do, you could have monstrous currents flowing through your cable
shields.  Assuming that your battery returns are isolated, then the DGND
should join to the case often in both cases.  The third issue is one of RF
currents.  CM noise between the two chassis will circulating in the
shield.  But that is the entire point, to circulate it within the shields
and not through the outside air.  The only other thing that you probably
want to be aware of is that the shield is a wave guide and will exhibit 1/4
wave and 1/2 wave effects.

Steve.

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at: