[SI-LIST] Re: Conducted Emissions and SMPSs help needed

  • From: npatel@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: <Erin.McPhalen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2007 12:43:29 -0700

Erin,

In the past I have had very good luck using common mode chokes right at
the input of PS to pass conducted emissions. You can also try increasing
the X and Y cap values. Try to find the source of the frequency in
question. There are FET's switching at very high duty cycle on the
primary and secondary side especially if you have some DC-DC converters
in it that causes emissions. Try increasing the gate resistance of the
FET's to slow they down. You might run into thermal issues if you do
that. Ask the vendor what components, IC's are switching at what
frequency. I would also start near field probing the PS and see if you
can pick up anything there. Take the output of the spectrum analyzer and
feed it into a Oscilloscope to see if you spot the frequency. Check the
routing on the boards. Usually PS boards are single layer with big power
and ground loops. Also you might try snapping torrid on cables in the PS
including the input PS cable to see if one them is acting as an antenna.

Hope it helps.
Nikhil=20