[SI-LIST] Re: Concept of Voltage

  • From: Shawn Hermite <shawn.hermite@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Albert Ruehli <albert.ruehli@xxxxxxxxx>, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 14:19:43 -0700

Albert,
If the scalar potential function is calculated in 2D or 3D using Green's
function as in MOM-type of solvers, we wish to define ZERO potential at
infinity. For 3D, the Green's function varies as 1/R where R is the distance
between the source and field points. On the other hand, in 2D, the Green's
function is proportional to ln(rho). Mathematically, we have difficulty of
using infinity as the potential reference point in 2D. How shall we
reconcile this?

Thanks,

Shawn

List technical documents are available at: