[SI-LIST] Re: Common Mode vs. Even Mode

  • From: Doug Brooks <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: michael.mirmak@xxxxxxxxx, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 09:20:08 -0700

I think the issue is a simple misunderstanding and confusion in terms.

In a coupled pair of traces, the individual trace termination value is
differential          Z11 - Z12
Common Mode  Z11 + Z12

In a practical sense, the differential resistors are placed in series, so
the net "differential" impedance is 2X(Z11-Z12)

Others say the common mode resistors can be visualized as being in
parallel, so the net parallel combination result is .5X(Z11+Z12)

So, differential impedance is "approximately" 2 times or 4 times common
mode impedance, depending on your definitions.

Doug Brooks

At 08:50 AM 5/16/2002 -0700, you wrote:

>In the current literature, the equations used to analyze a differential
>system's traces are fairly consistent: differential impedance is equal to
>twice the odd mode impedance, where the odd mode is the difference between
>the single-ended and coupling impedances, etc.
>
>One point of difference is the definition of common mode impedance.  Several
>sources, including Douglas Brooks' 1998 Printed Circuit Design article,
>state that the common mode impedance is equal to one-half the even mode
>impedance.  Similar statements can be found in industry specifications, such
>as those for Serial ATA.
>
>On the other hand, Eric Bogatin has explicitly stated in his differential
>training materials ("Differential Impedance Finally Made Simple", 2000) that
>common mode impedance is equal to the even mode impedance; yet, on this
>forum, he has recently stated (in an SI-LIST e-mail, Feb. 25, 2002) that
>common mode impedance is one-half of even mode impedance.  The "common mode
>Z = even mode Z" definition is also given in a 1999 Printed Circuit Design
>article by Kaufer and Crisafulli.
>
>What is the "correct" definition of common mode impedance?  I suspect that
>there is a referencing or perspective discrepancy here, but I would like to
>hear a formal explanation, preferably from the above experts or others on
>the list.
>
>Thanks!
>
>- Michael Mirmak
>   Intel Corp.