[SI-LIST] Re: Common Clock and Source SynchronousTimingMargins

  • From: "abe riazi" <ariazi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 19:31:05 -0800

Itzhak Hirshtal Wrote:

The answer to your question depends on the chip vendor's definition! I'm
accustomed to a definition which is in respect to the strobe <<output>> pin, but
Mr. Riazi's definition for a source-synchronous design seems to be in respect to
the strobe <<input>> pin, that's why he has both Tco_data and Tco_strobe (see
his answers to me). I also understand that he refers to a design in which the
strobe signal is used to capture the data on the <<opposite edge>> than the edge
on which the data is transmitted. <<I>> refered to a source-synchronous bus
which samples the data at the receiver on the same dege as the one used to
transmit the data.

Hi Itzhak:

Please clarify:

"he refers to a design in which the
strobe signal is used to capture the data on the <<opposite edge>> than the edge
on which the data is transmitted. <<I>> refered to a source-synchronous bus
which samples the data at the receiver on the same dege as the one used to
             transmit the data"

The Source synchronous computer front-side bus (FSB / GTL) designs I have
simulated,
have included a chipset (example: CMIC-LE ) plus two or more processors
(example: Pentium IV).
These buses have operated at 133 or 100 MHz.  When the chipset drives, it first
transmits data
signals and a short while later the associated strobes.  To ensure proper
functioning of such source
synchronous buses, the strobe must be timely transmitted to satisfy the setup
and hold requirements
of the receiver latch.  The ideal offset between data and strobe is usually 90
degrees assuming
50% duty cycle.

All agents on FSB data interface are bi-directional; therefore, a complete GTL
simulation necessitates
not only considering the case of chipset driving but also when a Middle or the
End processor drives.

Common clock timing analysis is required because of data to bus clock
relationships; whereas, the
data to strobe relation dictates source synchronous setup and hold margin
computations.  When
generating/interpreting a source synchronous timing spreadsheets, it is
important to take into account
that a group of data signals (for example 16 data bits) can share the same
strobes.

Thank you,

Abe Riazi
ServerWorks