[SI-LIST] Re: Coaxial TEM Cutoff Frequency

  • From: <jeff_latourrette@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gtang@xxxxxxxx>, <mmoeller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,<si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 15:27:40 -0700

Merrick:

What George says is true, however the other non-TEM modes, TE & TM which =
do have cut-offs are important to understand.  This is why as you go up =
in frequency, coax connector systems change from APC-7 to SMA to APC-3.5 =
to 2.4mm, etc.  The idea is to make sure your frequencies of interest =
stay in TEM mode and aren't allowed to propagate in the other modes.  =
This done by keeping dimensions small enough so that your coax cuts them =
off-i.e. you operate at frequencies below the lowest TE11 mode cut-off =
frequency.  SMA connectors, for instance are regularly used up to 18 =
GHz.  Connectors like APC-3.5 take advantage of air dielectric to push =
their TE11 cut-off higher and are used to 26.5 GHz.  Smaller and smaller =
connectors (and coax) are needed to operate at higher frequencies. =20

There may be confusion in terminology.  For Microwave engineers, cut-off =
phenomena is a high-pass response, usually referred to with waveguides =
which propagate in TE & TM.  A Coax is DC coupled and won't have a =
high-pass cut-off.  Losses will roll the response off at high =
frequencies, but very gradually and certainly not like a low pass =
filter, so I'm not sure you'd ever define or see a 3 dB low-pass =
cut-off, unless you had a very long cable.  For a short coax, you will =
pass TE11 cut-off well before you see 3 dB loss.  I imagine in most =
cases the connectors or PCB launch limit performance before the coax =
dimensions, but you might need to look at both.  Connectors are very =
short coaxes with step discontinuities and parasitics which will degrade =
performance.

There is an assumption used in the propagation constant Kc=3D2/(D+d), =
which I can see in your second equation, which is detailed in the text: =
Pozar, "Microwave Engineering".  I'm not sure on your first =
equation-seems like something's missing.

Hope this helps you-I'm sure the makers of microwave cables and =
connectors have more information to help you.

Regards,

Jeff LaT.