[SI-LIST] Re: Clock Jitter

  • From: "Istvan Nagy" <buenos@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Pietz, Greg P" <greg.pietz@xxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 18:03:20 +0100

hi

the manufacturers can increase the noises in at lest 2 ways:

1) some dielectric thicknesses in the stackup have been changed, signal
layers went further from the ground planes and closer to each other, so
increasing the crosstalk levels everywhere on your board. To avoid this,
specify exact materials and especially exact dielectric thicknesses in your
stackup, not just the layer-order and impedances. if you try it, the
manufacturers will aggressively try to convince you that its the worst thing
that you can do, and maybe that its over your knowledge (insult), and it
will be more expensive and you will get longer lead times. Even then you
should force the fixed stackup. Or at least before manufacture, the fab
should propose a stackup, (which should have exactly the same thicknesses),
and you have to authorise them to use that stackup. never let them to change
anything on your board  just like that, even if they say its your interest
(becuase it is not).
check my appnote, chapter 3 (with internet explorer):
http://www.buenos.extra.hu/iromanyok/Accurate_Impedance_Control-2columns.pdf

2) if antipads become bigger, then at some dense via-arrays the ground plane
may be broken because of this, forcing the return currents away from their
natural paths, creating more reflections and crosstalk (into your clock from
other signals). you can maybe check the boards with x-ray, and compare.

regards,
Istvan Nagy,
Concurrent Technologies, Plc.