[SI-LIST] Chassis and Digital grounds connection

  • From: si_fan_1@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 00:06:39 -0800

Hi all,

I'm beginning a new project and discussing the ground scheme.
I'm talking here about a multi board design that will fit into a few U
height chassis. There are dozens of ports out of the box (2.5Gb/s each)
over copper cable.

One of the concepts is connecting all the grounds together (both chassis
and digital of the boards and cable connectors).
The other method is separation of the chassis and digital grounds with
one connection between them (close to the power supply).
I'm aware that both methods are used but would like to better understand
what are the reasons to choose one way on top of the other? what are the
pros and cons of each in terms of EMI?

Thanks,

--
http://www.fastmail.fm - I mean, what is it about a decent email service?