[SI-LIST] Re: Chassis GND and Digital GND shorting on daughterboard

  • From: "Grasso, Charles" <Charles.Grasso@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 'Ignas Mikulevicius' <mikulevi@xxxxxxxxx>, "'o. laney'" <olaney@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 14:50:02 -0600

Ignas - I think I see the problem.

You first assumption (that: "The way I understand it, for ESD, we ideally want
to connect chassis ground and digital ground with a large resistor(say, 1
MOhm), to allow any ESD charge to be bled off to chassis without
causing any excessive currents and correspondingly dangerous voltages across
components.) a little off target. The addition of high resistance values
to "bleed off" charge applies to people (in manufacturing) not to
product design. There is no conflict between shorting chassis/digi gnd
for ESD or emissions. It works fine for both.

Best Regards
Charles Grasso
Desk 303-706-5467
Cell: 303-204-2974