[SI-LIST] Re: Chassis GND and Digital GND shorting on daughterboard

  • From: "o. laney" <olaney@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: shuklas@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 00:45:40 -0700

The reason there are so many seemingly conflicting answers is, as always,
"it depends".  If you are hoping for rules of thumb or accepted "best
practices" you will be disappointed.  The only adequate way through the
EMI/ESD thicket is a good grasp of the fundamentals.  For instance, there
are LF tricks that don't work at HF and vice versa and you need to
understand why.  Ground partitioning and current steering are often not
well suited to cookbook solutions.  Really, it is impossible to ask
general questions and obtain compact, one size fits all working answers.
You'll have to do the homework on learning the physical reasoning.
Another ad naseum discussion cannot substitute for that because it's a
fool's errand.  Try the books on noise control by Henry Ott, and as
previously suggested troll the archives until you understand the
reasoning (both good and bad) behind various recommendations.  Good luck,
let us know how you're doing.

Orin Laney

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net