[SI-LIST] Characterizing PCB Impedance in Coplanar Structures

  • From: "Moran, Brian P" <brian.p.moran@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2015 22:51:31 +0000

Hi Folks,
Hopefully this is an easy one for someone out there, but I need some insight.
I'm using a 2D field solver to calculate the
Zo of a micro-strip which has both a traditional broadside reference plane and
ground guard traces on one or both sides.
The solver does allow me to define the guard traces as references. However,
even when I do, the field solver reports
the same Zo as without the guard traces. The only metric that does change is
Zself, but Zself does care if they are guard
traces or normal signal traces. So I'm wondering, should the solver include
the coplanar reference traces in its Zo calculation,
or does Zo, by definition, only consider the broadside reference. Should I be
looking at Zself to characterize the trace?
Or should I be looking for a different solver. How do people generally
characterize coplanar t-line structures?

Brian Moran
Intel Corporation

List forum is accessible at:

List archives are viewable at: