[SI-LIST] Re: Causality Condition -why real and imaginary part of a Frequency response of causal system need to be even and odd respectively

  • From: "Yuriy Shlepnev" <shlepnev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <piyush.nithmr@xxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 May 2013 08:54:54 -0700

Piyush,

Time-domain response must be a real function of time. If it is computed with
the inversed Fourier transform of the complex frequency domain response, the
TD response is be always real if the imaginary part of FD response is odd
and real part is even. It is the TD response realness condition. We do not
use negative frequency in analysis of interconnects, but the condition at DC
is useful to control quality of S-parameters: imaginary part  and derivative
of real part of FD response must be zero at DC.

Best regards,
Yuriy

Yuriy Shlepnev, Ph.D.
President, Simberian Inc.
3030 S Torrey Pines Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89146, USA
Office +1-702-876-2882; Fax +1-702-482-7903
Cell +1-206-409-2368
Skype: Shlepnev

www.simberian.com
Simbeor - Accurate, Fast, Easy and Affordable Electromagnetic Signal
Integrity Software
2010 and 2011 DesignVision Award Winner