[SI-LIST] Re: Capacitors at high frequency

  • From: "Tom Dagostino" <tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Alvaro alkschbirs'" <alvaro.alkschbirs@xxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2010 12:29:47 -0700

Alvaro

Though the same capacitor may used in both locations the important
characteristics for each application is different.  In a power supply
application the end result is a very low impedance power distribution
system. Low impedance could be 1 mOhm.  To get the impedance that low
requires the impedance of the capacitors used in the PDS to be very low so
any amount of inductance quickly raises the PDS impedance. For theca
coupling application the impedance of the capacitor at a given frequency can
be much higher.  These capacitors work in a 50 Ohm environment so Ohms of
impedance for the cap is not so significant.  Thus more inductive reactance
can be tolerated.

Tom Dagostino
Teraspeed Labs
13610 SW Harness Lane