[SI-LIST] Re: Capacitors arrays?worth it or not?

  • From: "Lee Ritchey" <leeritchey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Alan.Hiltonnickel@xxxxxxx" <Alan.Hiltonnickel@xxxxxxx>, JeanPierrePoulin@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 12:50:42 -0700

I agree that the spreadsheet method has same hazards.  Namely failing to
show resonances between the plane capacitor and the parasitic inductance of
the discrete capacitors.  It's good for a first order look at things.  A
more precise method is to use a SPICE model.  That will account for these
resonances, but it won't account plane resonances.  The Ansoft and Sigrity
tools will.  Perhaps there are other tools that will as well.

It is possible to achieve a reasonable impedance vs. frequency with about 5
values of capacitor and avoid any serious resonances.  I've got many dozens
of measured results that show this.  There is good correlation between
predicted and actual with the simulators named above and reasonable
correlation with the spreadsheet method.

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.org

List archives are viewable at: