[SI-LIST] Re: Capacitors arrays. worth it or not?

  • From: "Larry Smith" <LSMITH@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>, "Hill, John" <jhill@xxxxxxxxxx>, <Mark.Randol@xxxxxxxxxx>, "si-list" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 09:46:34 -0700

Steve, John - here is another interesting way to look at it.  When a
ceramic capacitor is mounted such that the capacitor plates are parallel
to the PCB plates, the capacitor forms a vertical transmission line with
inductance per unit length and capacitance per unit length.  The far end
of the transmission line is open circuit (air) and the near end is
nearly shorted (PCB power planes present a very low impedance to the
mounted capacitor).  This makes a quarter wavelength resonator similar
to a 50 Ohm transmission line that is open on one end.  At the quarter
wavelength frequency, the open circuit at the far end becomes a low
impedance node at the near end.  This is the series resonant frequency
of the capacitor.  The peaks and dips that you might see beyond the
series resonance of the capacitor are associated with the half, 3/4,
full,  1 1/4, etc, wavelengths of the capacitor transmission line.

To see this effect, you must mount the capacitor on vias and pads that
have less inductance than the capacitor itself otherwise the resonance
is completely dominated by the mounting inductance.  Tall capacitors
with very low ESR show this effect the best.  I was evaluating a bunch
of capacitors one time and the 33nF NPO 2220 size capacitor strongly
exhibited these properties.  It is very tall and has low ESR because of
the many, many plates.  I had it mounted on a fixture estimated at 83pH
but the inductance associated with the capacitor itself was about 1 nH.
There were perhaps a half a dozen dips and peaks beyond series resonance
associated with the transmission line properties of the capacitor.

David Hockanson and I did a couple of papers on this at 2002 and 2003
ECTC conference and another one at 2005 Design Con.  You can actually
use the transmission line properties of a capacitor to develop a ladder
SPICE model and extract the element values.  The model accurately
predicts the reduction of inductance and the increase in ESR of a
capacitor mounted on low inductance pads.  This is important to simulate
the parallel resonance that may occur between two capacitors or between
a capacitor and power planes.  Ceramic capacitors have a lot more ESR
and less ESL than might be expected from a simple RLC model beyond
series resonance.

Mounting capacitors with the plates perpendicular to the PCB planes
(rather than parallel) eliminates or at least greatly changes this
mechanism.  As Istvan mentioned, the resonances are very much reduced.
I believe that there is still an increase in ESR and a reduction of ESL
beyond series resonance as the current does not want to get very far
away from the PCB power planes (big inductive loop).  Once again, you
would have to mount the capacitors on very low inductance mounts in
order to see this.

Regards,
Larry Smith
Altera Corporation