[SI-LIST] Re: Can anyboay describe what the clipping signal sounds like?

  • From: alan.hiltonnickel@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: WANG Zhenwei <Zhenwei.Wang@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 18:22:02 -0800

Hi Zhenwei,
This is not the usual subject for this list, since audio is in the 20Hz
to 22000Hz range and we tend to be concerned with 1MHz+. However, you
will get responses from our esteemed members, especially those with a
sense of humor.

If you overdrive a sine wave into an amplifier so the amplifier clips,
it will more and more approximate a square wave, with a lot of higher
frequency harmonics. This is commonly done is modern music, especially
heavy-metal rock guitar. You might want to download some Jimi Hendrix -
Purple Haze is a good example of that type of distortion. Some old Led
Zeppelin would work well, too. Recreational hallucinogens are optional
for this exercise. :-)

I don't know what "vibration of voice" could mean, it doesn't sound like
the same thing. I think you need a better description of what they are
hearing.

Alan Hilton-Nickel
Oracle Corp

On 1/11/2012 5:55 PM, WANG Zhenwei wrote:
> Hi audio experts,
>      I have a task to dig up the root cause of some complain about audio
> quality. Its was named "vibration of voice". I could confirm that the signal
> from CPU to power amplifier was clipped. I guess the THD approximated to 20%.
> But I can not make sure that the clipping waveform has relationship with
> "vibration of voice"?
>      Can anybody help me or tell me what the clipping signal sounds like?
>      Thanks in advance!
> BR
> Zhenwei Wang
> ALCATEL-LUCENT
> Hardware Engineer
> APAC ENTERPRISE ENGINEERING AND DEVELOPMENT CENTER
> T: +86 21 6182 4420
> M: +86 13671886168
> Zhenwei.Wang@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:Zhenwei.Wang@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> List technical documents are available at: