[SI-LIST] Re: Can a thin PCB trace be used as a reliable fuse

  • From: "A, Nagaraj" <Nagaraj.AAA@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "Gaitonde, Tilak" <Tilak.Gaitonde@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 17:23:22 +0530

Hi Tilak,
        Its not a bad idea to use the PCB trace to act as a fuse considering
the threshold current and real estate problems for placing actual fuses. But
before you could do that, the following points could be looked after about
the feasibility of your project:

1. Replacement option : How could you replace the blown fuse if it is a PCB
trace ?
2. Manufacturability : Does your manufacturer has capability to produce the
required thin traces to meet the fusing?
3. Cost : cost of your manufacturing increases with your finer requirements
(unconventional / specific requirements)
4. Control : How could you control fast or slow blow actions of fuse (copper
trace) compared to available fuse (they use different materials)
5. Standard : Check whether such type of fuses have any safety standards to
be adopted.
6. Intended operation : How could you ensure that the fuse will blow only
for your intended overload condition and not in case of any electrostatic /
electromagnetic events occurring outside your board. ex: any external EMI or
END spikes could leave your finely constructed fuse damaged.
7. Handling: Any small warping of the board or handling problems such as a
soldering tip over the trace fuse could put it off.

These are my personal opinions on the above topic, Experts could correct me
if I am wrong in any of my points

regards

Nagaraj. A