[SI-LIST] Re: Calculating Zin for a DSP Clock

  • From: Todd Hubing <HUBING@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "jesuscastanemnez@xxxxxxxxx" <jesuscastanemnez@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2014 23:31:06 +0000

Jesús,
Your original post seemed to indicate that you wanted to calculate the input
impedance (i.e. looking in through the package to the clock input). The clock
input (C_comp) is approximately 5 pF and has an input impedance that is
approximately 1/(2*pi*f*C_comp). If you have properly controlled your
transition times, L_pkg and C_pkg will not affect the signal integrity of your
25 MHz clock.

You don't provide enough details about your application to determine whether it
is necessary to provide a matched termination, but if you do provide a matched
termination, you should match the transmission line characteristic impedance,
not the termination input impedance. The transmission line characteristic
impedance is sqrt(L_trace/C_trace) where L_trace and C_trace are per unit
length parameters of the transmission line.

Todd

Todd Hubing
Clemson University