[SI-LIST] Calculating S-parameters with Tek TDR + Iconnect

  • From: Juan G Fuentes <jgfnolasco@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2011 12:16:02 -0500

Hi
I am using the 80E08 TDR heads to get the differential S-parameters from my
active device. I am just trying to get SD1D1 and  SC1C1

So calculate the S11, Iconnect requires the reference and the DUT.

My question is specific on the reference. It could be an step  coming an
open or a short.

When I drive the diff. pair in odd mode. The reference step for an open is
just the inverse for a short. i.e. Shorting Dp to Dn. (not to GND)

When I drive the diff. pair in even mode. The reference step for an open
seems to be the same as for a short. i.e. Shorting Dp to Dn. (not to GND).

So , the question is, for the case of a SHORT in both the ODD and EVEN
modes, should I short the end of the trace to GND or the short is between
the Dp and Dn

Thanks

Juan

List technical documents are available at: