[SI-LIST] Re: Cable requirement for High Speed Video Bus

  • From: Alan Hilton-Nickel <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Girish Thorat <Girish_Thorat@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 11:34:32 -0700

Girish,
Your request is a little sparse on architectural details, making a
generic recommendation impossible.

How long a cable are you needing? 3 cm or 10 m? Are these boards in the
same enclosure, or in separate boxes? Does the DSP board have a matching
150MHz8-bit interface, or are you going to need some sort of
buffer/translator? And how much flexibility do you have to alter the
design to suit your needs - is one or both of the boards a commercial
off-the shelf unit, or are they custom designs? Is this a product or a
one-off lab prototype? Is the interface only data, or are there sideband
control lines as well? Is the data unidirectional?

If the boards have matching interfaces, are only a few inches away in
the same enclosure (or just on your lab bench) and you are
designing/laying them out yourself. it seems a little silly to do a
serdes implementation. A ribbon cable with GND between each signal
conductor would likely work, as long as you control the impedance
discontinuities. A flex cable with an integrated ground plane might come
in very handy here. Then you will need to ensure you terminate the lines
appropriately to minimize reflections.

If you are transmitting several meters between two independent boxes,
you will need to take great care to control your ground connections and
minimize ground offsets between the two pieces of equipment (again this
is a function of the architecture). Cable shielding will be necessary.
If there are no control signals and the data is unidirectional, a simple
serdes solution /might /be appropriate. You could even concentrate the
data into a single 1.2Gbps (or so) twin-ax pair.

Alan Hilton-Nickel
Sun Microsystems

Girish Thorat wrote:
> Hi All,
> We need to connect a video image sensor board to a DSP processing board, the
> sensor has an 8-bit data interface at 150Mhz. The image sensor board and the
> DSP board need to be connected thro' a cable. Can some one suggest a good
> implementation from SI and EMI point of view?
>
> We are looking into some solutions from Samtec which are not very cost
> effective so just wanted to get perspective from a larger audience
>
> Regards,
> Girish

> List technical documents are available at:
>                 http://www.si-list.net