[SI-LIST] Re: Cable grounding scheme

  • From: "Salkow, Steven" <steven.salkow@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: erdinih@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 13:12:26 -0700

Seems a lot of rubbish is floating around about grounding.

Grounding considerations deal with electrical, safety standards, and
EMI.

Chassis grounds and signal ground do not have to be tied together. Many
standards allow a single point bonding of the two GROUNDING SYSTEMS
usually on the backplane or chassis. With respect to cables running
between two boxes some remote distance from each other, the single point
bonding of the two GROUNDING SYSTEMS may be:
   1. Not joined at either end
   2. Joined at one end but not the other.
   3. Joined at each end

Mandates for safety in the United States may require one of the above
options depending on the class and service of the equipment (VDE is
different)
1. Class two, low Volt-Amps (VA), low voltage
2. Class one, over typically 50 VA, 50 Volts

EMI
A continuous low impedance envelope surrounding emissive devices such as
cables help contain radiated energy. How much radiated energy depends on
DI/DT, impedance, effectiveness of the shield(ing), and if the signal is
differential or single ended. Slower edges, differential, low impedance,
well shielded lines emit less than their counterparts.

Noise
In grounding cable systems, common mode noise associated with a current
flowing from one box to another either from induced or conducted current
has less effect on differential signals unless the common mode voltage
exceeds the acceptable common mode voltage range of the
receiver/transmitter circuits. A typical offender may be a CRT display
that due to safety regulations required the bonding of the chassis and
signal ground. Non conforming CRT display may leak considerable ground
current. When that display is plugged into a chassis not well grounded,
a ground potential will develop on the chassis' ground equal to the sum
of L*Di/DT and the IR developed.

Radiated noise, from parallel signals, travel in the same bundle over
the same distance. Coupling again is dependent on Mutual Inductance,
cable impedance, Di/Dt, length of coupling (in this case a lot), and the
effectiveness of the shielding between them.

There are many books on the subject that go into this in great detail.
Those that do not have a good one should look for one that is practical
and easy to read.

Steven Salkow
Lockheed IS&S
3130 Zanker Rd, San Jose