[SI-LIST] CPW r.o.t?

  • From: "Grossman, Brett" <brett.grossman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 18:47:59 -0700

Anyone out there have a decent rule of thumb or closed form equation for
approximating characteristic impedance of a CPW structure?

Preferably something that doesn't involve me opening up my head and shaking
my brain to try and remember what an elliptic integral of the first kind is
(no Bessel or Henckel functions either please). I have found a few of these
types in the literature but am really only looking for a sanity check at
this point.

My application is on silicon geometries. I designed some characterization
structures that are off being fabbed and at the 11th hour threw on some
additional coplanar structures. Now I did what I could to throw them into
HFSS and optimize till I got a close match to a real 50 Ohm source, but I
don't have infinite trust in my HFSS'ing with large aspect ratios nor
infinite experience in designing CPW's.

Any pointer would be appreciated.

Best regards,

-Brett