[SI-LIST] CML vs. LVPECL

  • From: chris.mcgrath@xxxxxxxx
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 07:29:58 -0700

There seems to be some variance between serial transceiver vendors over the use
of CML or LVPECL drivers and I'm wondering if any of you have any opinions on
the issue.  My understanding is that for high-speed links, CML is preferable
since it is is less likely to induce reflections on the line since it has 50
ohm drivers whereas LVPECL has very low output impedance.  This all makes good
sense, but I'm concerned about the apparent differences between the vendors
(specifically, 1 and 2 Gb Fibre Channel) as well as the degree of risk
associated with LVPECL transceivers.

Your input is greatly appreciated.

Christopher McGrath
ADIC