[SI-LIST] Re: Bypass Capacitance?

  • From: "Elya B. Joffe" <ebj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 06:15:58 -0400

Dear all,
 From what I recall from Howard Johnson's teachings (which I find much
rational in), I recall the following:

  * Once you have chosen a size (and technology) of a capacitor
    (primarily ceramic) take the largest capacitive value you have in
    that package. You have already paid your dues in terms of ESL
    (inductance).
  * There is no benefit in paralleling various values of ceramics (e.g.,
    1nF, 10nF, 100nF), as a corollary of the previous bullet. If you
    use, for instance. 0402 package X7R capacitors, then in the higher
    frequencies, their inductance is equal almost (based on package) so
    you achieve very little improvement at the higher frequencies, at
    most you achieve the ESLs in parallel; in the lower frequencies,
    where capacitance dominates, what is the benefit in
    1nF||10nF||100nF? After all, that is almost 100nF? I prefer to
    parallel equal values (maximum per package).
  * If you parallel caps with different ESLs (say 1nF @ 0402, 10nF @
    0603 and 100nF @ 0805 - not that there is a reason for those sizes
    in those values...), you WILL encounter parallel resonances between
    ESLs of the larger caps and the capacitance of the smaller caps...
    Regretfully (?!?) ceramic caps have very little ESR, so you may
    experience a relatively high-Q parallel resonance... The fact that
    this might happen in the vicinity of the switching device, where a
    very broadband spectrum of delta-I/SSN exists, might even worsen the
    outcome of this mechanism... Normally, the PDN will include bulk
    caps at the input to the board, and those should address the lower
    frequencies, so I see no reason to address the lower frequencies at
    the vicinity of the switching devices. However, containment of high
    frequency noise near the switching device is definitely beneficial...
  * Regretfully, today there is a trend of using large (up to 22uF)
    ceramic caps instead of tantalum, for "bulk capacitance. These add
    "double trouble". Because of their large value their package is very
    large, this their ESL is relatively HUGE... On the other hand, being
    ceramic results in a very low ESR, so resonances are not suppressed
    very well. I have actually seen cases where designers have added
    small resistance in series with the large ceramic caps (emulating
    the "natural" ESR of the tantalum caps...).

Just a few comments which I hope you may find useful.

Cheers,

Elya B. Joffe

List forum  is accessible at:

List archives are viewable at: