[SI-LIST] Re: Buried capacitance materials

  • From: Mike Brown <bmgman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ajmani@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 21:56:10 -0500

In most applications, hi-pot ought not be an issue for BC.  Hi-pot
applies between  primary and secondary wiring.  The copper on each side
of the BC material  is at secondary potential in most applications.  Or
so it would seem to me.  The bypass caps between the two copper layers
are probably rated at no more than a few x the operating voltage, and
you don't consider hi-pot ratings for those.  I rest my case.

Mike

Ravinder Ajmani wrote:

>That was an excellent summary on buried capacitance materials.  I will
>appreciate if someone can provide me the information about Hipot rating of
>BC-2000.
>
>Regards, Ravinder
>PCB Development and Design Department
>IBM Corporation
>Email: ajmani@xxxxxxxxxx
>Always do right.  This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
>.... Mark Twain
>

>                      Greg.LINK@topsear
>
>                      ch.com.hk                To:       sunilb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
>                      Sent by:                 cc:       si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
>                      si-list-bounce@fr        Subject:  [SI-LIST] Re: Buried
> capacitance materials
>                      eelists.org
>

>                      09/19/2002 03:59
>
>                      AM
>
>                      Please respond to
>
>                      Greg.LINK
>

>All are FR-4 compatible, but only BC-2000 is used in volume.
>
>BC material is very reasonable but the licence to use it is expensive.  The
>other have so little use that the cost is not the relavent concern.  Emcap
>died as a project with Hadco but 3M is retrying with others.  The
>advantange of Emcap is a very high Dk 5X over BC-2000.  The disadvantage is
>a 4 mil thickness (higher inductance) and a hard to process Ceramic core.
>Dupont's capacitor material is a double screening process but is only
>suited for descrete capacitance and inductance needs, so it's area is very
>small.  Here are 2 helpful equation in looking at the effects:
>C = 225 x Dk x A / t    L = a constant x t / W
>C=Capacitance, A=area, t=thickness, L = inductance, W= width
>
>Talk to your PCB supplier about design requirements, assuming us use BC2000
>(the "only" available material), you should balance the construction but
>keep the BC cores near the components to limit through hole inductance
>Layers 2/3 and N-1/N-2 is common.  The more BC planes you get into the
>panel the better.  If you have a 12 lyr structure you might have 3 BC
>(power/ground) planes.  Area is very important.  Keep the surface
>Ground/Power planes as large and full of copper as possible. Copper
>thickness is not relavent but 1oz/1oz is easier to transport for your PCB
>supplier.
>
>Current carring capability can also be an importance consideration.  The
>very thin dielectrics can run into problems at not being able to handle low
>current.
>
>Greg Link
>Processing Engineering Manager
>Topsearch Printed Circuits (HK)

> [...]