[SI-LIST] Board-to-board connectors without reference planes?

  • From: "ckrich_99@xxxxxxxxx" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "ckrich_99@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: "si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2014 12:40:35 -0700 (PDT)

I know that high-speed signals must be routed with an
adjacent reference plane so the current loop area is minimal.  We’re always
told not to cross plane splits on PCBs
because this will cause SI/crosstalk and EMI issues.
However, I’m working with a QSeven module, which plugs into
an edge connector.
http://www.qseven-standard.org/
The QSeven connector supports very
high-speed differential signals like Ethernet, USB, HDMI, LVDS and several
single-ended buses.  Once the module is
plugged into a plastic connector, the signals pass through the connector into
gold-plated discrete pins which are soldered to the baseboard.  However,
there’s no reference plane for these
pins (for at least 6mm), and yet it works fine- how?
I’ve had the same question about PCI Express
connectors.  They uses only
differential-pairs so you can argue the diff-pairs use each other as
“returns”
if there’s no nearby plane.  But QSeven
also has high-speed single-ended signals.
Thanks+ Regards,Richard

List forum  is accessible at:

List archives are viewable at: