[SI-LIST] Re: BoardScan by Quantic and HyperLynx by Mentor

  • From: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rsefton@xxxxxxxxxxxxx,<si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 23:24:27 -0700

Bob, I agree that scanning a design after completion can have value
to see what might have fallen through the cracks.  We do both rule
development and post layout checks for our customers resulting in
robust designs free of nasty surprises.  ( < Alert! Shameless
Teraspeed plug.  Alert! > )

Rules are just tools to help with achieving a goal.  We treat them as
such and use our noggins to adjust them where it makes sense.  When
we develop and adhere to appropriate design rules, we still
occasionally find the need to tweak after post layout checks.  This
usually happens when we have reduced the margin in the rules to
accommodate requirements for total size, layer count reduction, lower
cost processes etc.  Usually the adjustments called for are minor and
pain free.  Had we not had the rules in the first place the
iterations would be much more painful and time consuming.

For some excellent insight on the sensible development of rules based
on hard metrics, I highly recommend Eric's book "Signal Integrity Simplified".

Best Regards,

Steve.

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at: