[SI-LIST] Re: Beyond Rail Operation in IBIS

  • From: "Ingraham, Andrew" <Andrew.Ingraham@xxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 11:58:59 -0400

> "How important is it to have accurate beyond rail curves?

Personally, I would suggest that accuracy is desirable out to around a
half to one volt past the point where the on-die clamp diodes start to
conduct.  Beyond that, accuracy is less important than just being in the
ballpark.

> Does the IBIS
> spec. allow models to not have IV curves beyond rail voltages?"

No.

Some people differ with me, but my opinion (again) is that the I-V
curves ought to make some attempt to represent some semblance of reality
all the way from -Vcc to +2*Vcc.  While the simulator may never
*converge* more than a volt beyond the rails, it is likely to *try*
points beyond this, and the I-V data out there needs to push it back
towards reasonable voltages and currents.  The slope of the I-V data is
probably most important.  Truncating the data means zero slope.
Extrapolation is better.  You want to be in the ballpark.

Certainly you wouldn't want the simulator to converge at -5V because
someone "doctored" the I-V data in the model to keep the currents small.
If the current at -5V is enough to vaporize silicon, make sure that's
what you put into the IBIS model!  You don't want the simulator to
converge there.

Andy

List archives are viewable at: