[SI-LIST] Re: Best routing layer for SERDES

  • From: hanymhfahmy@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: marc-andre.filion@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx,mervin.jacob@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2012 21:09:59 +0000

Hi,
Concur that stripline n to be more specific: symmetric stripline w equal height
of prepreg n core is the best.

Concur also that via stubs is very painful for SERDES channels n therefore
backdrilling n also via parameter optimization using 3D EM tools such as MOM or
FEM is required to guarantee successful operation.

Special care of the PCB material w low loss-tangent is required for long
routing as long as 10-inches on such backplanes such as those w 14-slots trying
to hit 10Gbps per lane on such copper backplanes.

Then the final recipe is the optimization of the equalizers of Td n Rx is a
must for such high data rates.

Concur also that radiated emission is minimized w stripline routing as well.

If going to 25GBps then surface roughness model of TLs is required.

Wish u a successful design.

Hany Fahmy
Agilent Technologies.
Sent via BlackBerry offered by Mobinil