[SI-LIST] Re: Best PDS impedance for package damping

  • From: Chris Cheng <Chris.Cheng@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Larry Smith'" <Larry.Smith@xxxxxxx>,Chris Cheng <Chris.Cheng@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 15:19:05 -0800

Cool! I think this is exactly what the system people need to know/model to
analyze the power distribution at system level.
As a one time chip head, however, this is not accurate enough for true die
power modeling as the power grid and on die capacitance is not a lumped
model as shown but a distributed one with localize loading and impedance
variation. After all, these mega giga processor will only see a single
version of the power ripple if your model is valid from different FUBs on
die. Unfortunately that's not true and what you've shown is just the loading
as presented by the die to the system (after filtering from the package).
There are techniques to measure/predict such localize impedance response on
die but I am afraid it is not as simple as you describe in your paper.